Wednesday, February 28, 2007

New Beginning

Ok...so here I go.

After checking out other blogs over time, I've decided to begin one of my own. If you know me, this is funny because I am not a reality show kind of person, nor a soap opera follower (since discovering how much time is wasted when I used to watch them)...and so it follows that I have never been a blog person. I've always wondered...."WHY???" I guess that's a bit too general to be answered. Too many reasons for too many persons out there.

So why for me? Part diary...part history...part departure when my brain needs a break...new hobby?? I don't know. A little of everything, I suppose. Oh...and I can't sleep. Hubby's traveling. Yeah!!! That's a GREAT reason!!!

Who am I? A 44-yr-old teacher. I teach Second graders THIS year. Therefore, I am also a goddess! ha! "I teach--therefore, I am."

I'm married to the man of every woman's dreams. It will be six years soon. He's 11 yrs older than I am. Memo to self: I need to tell you about Dr. Love & the VCR repairman, two of the roles my husband filled when we were dating...and STILL fills! He just LOOOOVES it when I share those stories!!! (NOT!)

We have a total of 7 children, from ages 30s to teens...and 5 grandkids. Yeah, most of "the young'ns" are  from the hubby's side. I brought the three youngest ones into the fold. We've been called "The Brady Bunch" by well-meaning people. We have only two of our children still living at home. We are in the process of adopting a teenager (see Heart Gallery link in Fav Sites). YES...I said TEENAGER. So far only two people have asked us the "are you nuts???!!!" question. One was an atty for Guardian Ad Litem. My husband & I have also just graduated from the Guardian Ad Litem (GAL) program here. I encourage you to consider looking into this program yourself. I'll include a tag for this later...one of those things on the learning curve I'm still leaning into.

My youngest son likes to volunteer with me. We work with Bay Area Greyhound Adoption when we can (see Fav Sites). We own two beautiful fawn girls and an Iggy (Italian greyhound) boy. He'sour Tom Cruise with his too-tall wives.

Hobbies?? Well, knitting...if you can count the fact that it's taken me a year & a half or so to work on one scarf. Oh, I've finished a short "practice" piece. But I'm still working on that COMPLETED first work of art! I offered to teach my youngest son. I was met with a moment of silence before he said, "No offense, Mom, but if it takes YOU that long to learn it, I'll NEVER learn!" But knitting helps me to clear my mind, have a little thinking time, and regroup. If only there were more time...

I also love to read as all good teachers do!

Too much to consider right now about what to add to this new blog...and how to do it correctly. I'll have to pick up on it later.

I've added a few blogs I enjoy in the side column. Please check them out.

Coming events: 

--more links to sites I enjoy

--the HPV vaccine & what HASN'T been said in all the uproar

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sher..  I know I just left a comment on your latest entry, but I kind of read down and found your first one..   I wanted to introduce you to a couple of other journals here in Jland.  You have something in comment with them, and they are both very good reads.  First is Bea, who teaches elementary school also.  She is a wonderful lady, and writes often of her teaching experiencese.  Always a joy to read!  Here is her link: http://journals.aol.com/bgilmore725/Wanderer/ , and then there is Michelle who is also a teacher, and while she doesn't always talk about her students she is an interesting read also.  Here is her link: http://journals.aol.com/inafrnz247/Reflections/

I hope you enjoy it here in Jland! :)   It's a great place, full of wonderful people!

Take care,
Jackie

Anonymous said...

PS  Could I have made more spelling errors??? lol  I went back and read my comment and thought, "Geesh.. Jackie.. spell much?" lol

Jackie