Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Summertime...and the Humidity is High!

Wow! I think I actually might've posted a pic of myself here for those of you who've been wondering who you've been talking to! This was taken a couple of summers ago while Hubby & I were on a cruise to Cozumel. I even ended up this week with the same haircut as the pic. I think it sums up what I'm feeling right now with school out!!! Just put another pina colada in that hand & ya got the perfect mood here.

Welcome, Summer!

It's been a week since I posted here. Actually a bit longer. Been feeling a bit lazy & unrushed here. I get that way at the end of each school year. I think it's a passive aggressive thingee.

Last Thursday...the last day of school, wouldn't ya know... Hubby & I had a meeting about our new children. I had to take a half day off work & sacrifice my last time with my classroom children. But the cool thing is...my students understood. When I started to tell them why I had to go, they interrupted me & said, "We know. You're going to find out about your new kids, Mrs. F. That's ok." Aren't kids amazing??!!

The short version of the meeting is that they (case managers/family therapist/GAL) liked us & gave us the green light! Now we have to have another meeting just like the last one, only this one is considered the "formal" one. They will make a recording of this formal meeting where they present all the facts to us again about our children. They'll also give us a hard copy of it. It is considered final & formal disclosure of all info we need to know or would like to know about our children. This formal meeting should happen within the next week or so.

In the meantime, the case manager, family therapist & Guardian Ad Litem who are working with our children are in charge of starting the transition visits. It's a combo of the following....(deep breath)....daily visits, overnight visits, weekend visits, one-on-one visits with each child separately with me & separately with Hubby, whole family visits, visits with us as a couple with just the new children without our bio children...and probably any other combo you can think of! I'm curious as to how this will all fit together & how long it will take. Our older son's best friend is a foster child now all grown up. He says the process is swift from here. We hope so. The only extra time we need is to be sure their rooms are ready. So that's what you'll probably hear about next. The whole cleaning & set-up process.

In the meantime, I've been trying to wind down. Had to return to my classroom yesterday. I only had the top of my desk to clear off. Then I finished packing the car & got the heck out of there.

On Memorial Day, Hubby & I bought a nice outdoor glass-top table, umbrella, and chairs for the deck. It was Hubby's idea. Our new daughter's room has French doors off the deck & pool. He felt the umbrella might shade the doors some, as well as offer a neat place to do homework & socialize. We found that the last two ideas work really great! We've already eaten breakfast out there just to give it a trial run. While the umbrella is tall, it doesn't do much to shade the door. But we love it anyway!

That same evening, we went to the park by our house. It was close to sundown. The park is near the Hillsborough River. It has been recently renovated with an improved walking area, picnic gazebo, and doggy baggy stations. It's attracting more people to the area for picnicing & exercising. We love it for the proximity of the river. Hubby & I started walking, but ended up sitting on one of the three wooden docks leading out over the river. A heron...we think...was sitting on the railing seemingly enjoying his view when we came up. He kept turning his head from side to side to keep an eye on us. I felt like we intruded on either his solitude or his dinnertime. Another bird finally called him away. Across the river were the remnants of a pool party. Everyone seemed to be winding down. Boats cruised & sped by, jockeying for the lead at times. The sun was going down to the west, and we were seated facing it. All the houses across the river were becoming silhouettes. It was one of those times where you just sit...and sit...and sit. You want to talk, but you don't want to break the spell. There was this serene beauty with the calm lapping of the waves (occasionally broken up by the boats), along with the pastel skies & this incredible breeze. One of those gentle ones that doesn't seem to stop. Not too cold, not at all hot. And here, amazingly, in Florida! No humidity. Rare this time of year. I asked Hubby when was the last time we'd done this. We couldn't remember, but we think it was LAST summer. I noted that it was a shame not to do it EVERY night. It was better than staying in or watching t.v. It was great for the soul & relaxation. Just what I needed.

Since that night, the humidity has returned, and I haven't been able to replicate that feeling of clearing the mind & soul of a year's worth of work & hassles. But I'm trying! By gosh, it's summer, so it HAS to feel as free as I wanna be!!!

So Happy Summer, All, and to All, a safe & fun time!

No comments: