Sunday, June 10, 2007

Summer Reading

     Just starting a summer reading list to add to & reflect back on at the end of summer. You may wish to check these titles out. Some will reflect the interests of my soon-to-be Seventh grader, since we read aloud some nights together. Others may reflect my interests as an educator. And then some may just be "fluff" for the heck of it!

     Please feel free to send some titles my way so I can read them.

For those of you who are educators...

     I recommend you read ANYTHING written by Rafe Esquith, the only teacher in history to receive the National Medal of Arts. His many other honors include the American Teacher Award, Parents magazine's As You Grow Award, and the Compassion in Action Award from the Dalai Lama. He wrote There Are No Shortcuts and Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire: The Methods and Madness Inside Room 56.

The man makes SENSE!

BOOKS!!!

1. Gregor and the Code of Claw : Book Five in the Underland Chronicles, by Suzanne Collins. (This is a children's series that adults cannot put down. Book One: Gregor the Overlander, Book Two: Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane, Book Three: Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods, Book Four: Gregor and the Marks of Secret.) A series that will keep you turning pages like Harry Potter did.

2. Keeping Katherine, by Susan Zimmermann. (Previously published as Grief Dancers.) True story of Katherine, a beautiful, perfect baby for the first year of her life. Then, without any warning, she changed forever. She started crossing her eyes, cried at night for hours at a time and could not be soothed, stopped saying words, stopped crawling, and began what would become a lifelong habit of wringing her hands. Hospitals and doctors could offer no answers, while Katherine slipped further away from her family. A book of unconditional love and how the profoundly disabled can offer much to those who try to understand them.

3. Teacher Man, by Frank McCourt, (Pulitzer Prize-winning author). currently reading...

4. The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold. currently reading...

5. Thirteen Moons, by Charles Frazier. (Recommended by Shelly/XXRoxyXX...Thanks, Shel!). To be read...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay!  I love books.  The children and I go to the library once a week.  I always get way more books than I can read. lol  I'm currently reading Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier of Cold Mountain fame.  I loved that book and movie!

Hope you have a great week ahead!  love, Shelly

Anonymous said...

thank you for the list
I want to read Rafe Esquith, since I teach children that have problems with reading and math.
I read The Lovely Bones and it continues to haunt me. What a unique perspective.
Marti
http://journals.aol.com/sunnyside46/MidlifeMusings