Sunday, October 19, 2008

Fantastic Friday in Chicago

Hubby & I had a very nice day in Oak Park, Illinois on this day. It is where the home & studio of Frank Lloyd Wright is located. My hubby is a huge fan of FLW, so it was a "must" to go see while in Chicago. We started out with a Starbucks..can't miss them here...one at every corner, practically. On the Loop, we took the green line out towards Harlem, getting off one stop before at Oak Park. Quaint little area. Beautiful park, library, schools. What most would consider the "perfect" place to raise your kids. Tree-lined streets with leaves falling in red, yellow, orange & still speckled with a bit of green. Parents & their children outside in the breeze setting up Halloween decorations. Even Hubby & I got into the mood by sliding our feet & kicking at the various piles of leaves by the road.
First we took the self-guided FLW tour, visiting 20 different buildings built by FLW &/or his contemporaries. We followed that with a tour of his home & studios. You just can't get the depth or beauty of his work, nor the organizational & utilitarian skills (minimalism, prairie style) he must've had, unless you visit here. No longer will I feel an architectural picture book does him justice. You have to FEEL & be within the architecture for yourself to appreciate it.
We wanted to stop in at the Unity Temple, too, but didn't have time to catch the tour. So we decided to go back on Saturday.
Instead, we ended up dining at Wineberries...not sure I spelled that correctly...will have to fix it later. Food to die for!!! Hubby had London broil while I had a type of tilapia. The sauce had Greek black olives, sundried tomatoes & wine. Various hearty breads were served with butter. Wish I could remember the names of things. I've never been good at it. But if I can figure out the name of the dish I had, I'll post it.
The train ride "home" was nice. We passed the observitory area. Maybe we will explore it another time.
Then in for a quiet ending to our evening.
~sher

No comments: