Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Flying in...

Everything went like clockwork on Monday! YEAAA!!! I used some comp time I had coming to me so that I could leave right on time as my students were leaving. My hubby picked me up outside of school. For ONCE I actually had all of my suitcase packed & ready for him at home so that all he had to do was pick me up. And for ONCE I was on time! I was so proud of myself!
So we shot right over to the airport. We flew out at 3:50 pm ET, which come to find out is an excellent time to fly. There were "no lines-no waiting". I even had time to hit the potty (quite necessary for a teacher's bladder at this time of day), & time for each of us to grab a Starbucks & some extra magazines. Not too long of a wait to get on board. We were almost afraid...or I should say IIII was almost afraid we wouldn't get a seat together, but we did.
Here's something truly embarrassing to admit. I've flown before, but not very often. I can probably count on one hand how many times I've flown anywhere, and most of those times have been since my hubby & I married. This time for me was a bit unnerving, and I don't know why. I can only speculate that it's because I was tired. I'd been up until 2a.m. to make sure my lesson plans were "perfect" while I was gone. I am one of those teachers who has to type out each day & leave specifics. I've just had so many subs over the years who just don't "get" or follow the plans that teachers leave. So I feel like I have to spell it all out. Fortunately... & possibly wisely...I've learned to type a basic framework or template that I copy & use over & over again. But this week in particular has been so busy & stressful. In fact, the day after we return from Chicago, the state & the county are coming in to visit our classrooms. Supposedly two teams of 3-4 people will be coming in to observe us at 15 minutes each visit. So yeah...nervewracking. I've told myself...PROMISED myself...that I wouldn't let it bother me. I'm ticked enough that our schools are held accountable for the results of ONE test, which we don't even do to our students. Could you imagine grading a STUDENT on ONE test & telling the parents whether or not they pass or fail based upon that one test alone? Even with FCAT, there are possible exceptions for the students, but none that I see for the schools. So when you work for a "focus" school (read that as an "F" school), the one test pass or fail is what you get.
So possibly my flight jitters were due to all of the above. I flew up here to Chicago to visit our same friends back in June, and the same thing happened. I teared up. I mean, I got so emotional on these two flights that I feel downright silly. This time I actually had a tear streaming down my face & felt like blubbering like a baby. But I didn't. Having the Love of my Life there actually helped. I realized a bit later I was gripping him rather tightly. I just couldn't help it. I wonder if anyone else acts so silly... Some turbulance didn't help.
Finally, though, we landed safely. It was fun & felt adventurous to find our way on our own from Midway on the Loop to our friends' home in the Clinton area of Chicago. It was just beginning to get dark. Outside the window was a stunning full moon. Creeping through the Loop system was a bit romantic & a bit gothic. The shadows & lights made typical buildings look like staged sets.
We arrived at the Clinton stop & found our way down the wheelchair ramp to the street level. As we looked around, we found our friends staring back at us diagonally across the street corner. It was wonderful seeing them again! Emily is my artist friend. You will find a link for her work in my fav sites. Her partner, Lynn, is a pharmacist, for lack of a better descriptive term. I say that because I know she works or has worked as a regional director for her company & I'm not so sure what all her job entails, except a lot of smarts. Em & Lynn are both champions of animals. We met through BAGA (Bay Area Greyhound Adoption) in Tampa. They have & foster greyhounds, as we do. I also appreciate them for being more laidback like Hubby & I are. While they enjoy friends & the arts, they're more easygoing & fun to hang out with. I don't feel like I have to run around all the time when I'm with them. They know how to enjoy good company & a good glass of wine now & then. Lynn makes a mean glass of sangria coupled with champagne. My fav! And so sweet of them to have that on hand for our stay. I keep telling them they've spoiled us. They even had a gift card ready ahead of time for us so I could enjoy my Starbucks while here & while at every street corner! ha! I've lost count on how many are in Chicago, but I now know of about 4 within a couple of blocks of E & L's place. Two are in the works.

Tomorrow: First day of Chicago
~sher

No comments: